CERS 2017 “Art in Science” Competition
Please fill out the form below and send your art-in-science document to CERS2017psu@gmail.com
Submission Deadline: Monday, March 27, 2017
Visualization methods provide an important tool in engineering for the analysis and presentation of scientific work. Images can often convey information in a way that tables of data or equations cannot match. As a special feature of the CERS 2017, we are continuing the “Art in Science” competition. The competition is open to engineering graduate and undergraduate students of the Pennsylvania State University. Three participants will be awarded $100 at the meeting for winning entries.
- Submissions are limited to one image per contestant.
- Images may be obtained by any material imaging technique. They can also be the result of modeling and simulation, visualization of data, or can be obtained by combining multiple images into one artistic image. Because the focus is on art, images may be edited or enhanced to express creativity and visual impact but must maintain scientific integrity.
- Judging: the session chairs and judges will independently determine the winners. Each entry is eligible for only one prize.
- Image format guideline:
- All images are to be submitted online as a high-resolution .tiff file of at least 300 dpi (10 MB maximum sizes) on or before 11:59 p.m. (EST), March 27. Please include the submitter’s full name in the title of the .tiff file.
- All submitted images must include a short description of the technique used, the object that was imaged and any special conditions. In addition, the submitter’s name, major, degree and e-mail address must be given. All information must not exceed one page.
- All images will be submitted electronically. No photographic hard copy prints will be accepted.
Rights: By participating, winners agree to allow the College of Engineering to post their names online as a competition winner without further compensation. Except where prohibited, by accepting awards the winners agree to the public use of their names, email addresses and images for advertising or publicity purposes without further compensation.